This one's great for when you want a substantial appetizer.
Nobody will go hungry & it totally replaces the whole formal dinner for friends.
General ingredients you'll need:
- Your preferred steak of choice- I recommend flank steak
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
- 2 bags small sweet mini peppers
- Olive Bar: stuffed peppidew peppers and pitted castelvetrano olives or green olives of your choice
- Herbed Boursin Cheese
- Storebought flatbread (warm it up!)
- For the Chimichurri: 1 Bunch of Cilantro, 1 Bunch of Parsley, Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, Plus lime or white vinegar, 1 ripe avocado (optional)
STEP 1: SEASON YOUR STEAK WITH SALT
I used flank steak here and GENEROUSLY seasoned it with sea salt before doing anything else. Leave it covered on the counter so that it comes to room temperature before cooking in it. (This is key!)
Sizzling hot flank steak, served in a hot cast iron pan with sweet roasted peppers, chimichurri, Boursin cheese, olives, peppidew peppers, and served with a side of warm crusty flatbread.
STEP 2: Make the Chimichurri sauce
In a food processor, mix together:
- 1 bunch of cilantro (stems cut off)
- 1 bunch parsley (stems cut off)
- 7-8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 avocado
- Splash of white vinegar (maybe 1.5 tablespoons)
And if you don't have a food processor... just use store bought fresh pesto! That'll be great too.
Step 3: Chop and Roast your peppers, add in the olives and peppidew peppers to warm.
Cut off the mini pepper tops, cut the peppers in half, and cook with sea salt and olive oil over medium heat until they are soft and a beautifully roasted color. To warm them, add in the olives and peppidew peppers.
Want to see a quick video tutorial for this recipe?
Step 4: Cook the steak!
Get your pan hot hot hot! I have a very hot stove so I heated up the pan to high and then turned it down to medium high. Once it was hot, I added a couple tablespoons of oil to the pan and then BAM! Added the steak and cooked until it was medium-rare. Then shut off the heat and let it rest.
Step 5: Combine everything in the pan to serve
Once the steak is finished, you're going to arrange the peppers, steak, Boursin cheese, olives, and peppidew peppers in the pan you're serving it in.
Add a little ramekin of the chimichurri to the pan along with the Boursin cheese, and serve with the crusty flatbread!
Voila! I hope you enjoy this recipe!